One of Many

Monday, August 04, 2003

Hard-wired for God?

I have always fancied the brain as being something of a computer's hard-drive: wired for this and that, with an inexhaustible array of programs and glitches alike. I suppose it is easier to think of it that way, though perhaps a bit cold.

I read something once about a subject called "neuro-theology". This is the concept of there being a certain area of the brain that is "hard-wired" for faith, and/or religious experiences. (Please bear in mind I am giving the absolute bare-bones summary of the entire idea.) Medical professionals have done experiments: such as having a nun go into deep meditation and when she felt "enlightened", or that she was having a religious experience, she tugged at a wire and they rushed her to radiology for a C.T. scan of the brain. A very small area was alive with activity, while other areas were nearly completely dormant.

What interested me is that this "faith circuit" seemed to drain the certain other parts, including a section of the brain that allows you to percieve where one ends and something else begins. The article continued describing it for quite some time, and it seemed to me that those in the deepest meditations were actually dissociating.

I suppose what I am pondering is this: If those with the deepest connection in faith are dissociating to rise to that plateau, why is it considered a disorder, or a symptom of such? Is dissociation really all that harmful? It seems common enough...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home