One of Many

Saturday, January 29, 2005

The birthday-rush.

Several in our family have birthdays within a week of ofne another, and not only is it draining on finances but also ob energy, with being right after Christmas and all. But everyone make it through: days abounding with gifts and joy, time spent, and general positive experiences. Most Inside either like the family, or are indifferent, so it causes no ill feelings or instigation during these times. Molly likes them especially, because of the small sister and their dog. The mother, also, acknowledges our presence, and although Molly is shy, she likes to be noticed. At the younger sister's birthday parties, the mother keeps a "goodie-bag" for the small ones to bring home, and it delighted them.

The talk of birthday parties brings to mind the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays, or holidays in general. If I recall correctly, this is because, in their belief, we are to honor God, and Jesus, and not one another. However I see this less honoring, and more building-up; are we not to do so? Further, it does say "Honor thy father and mother", so there is it contradicting to me. As for the other holidays, I can see why: Jehovah's Witnesses understand that most of today's Christian holidays (Christmas, Easter, the like) are greatly interwoven with paganism. I see that as well, and we do not celebrate Hallowe'en, and Christmas is celebrated without wreaths, or a red and green color scheme. We do have a tree, yes, but it is simple, as I believe commercialization has altered these holidays, as well. I will offer to hear what any Jehovah's Witness will say about anything above, and I will correct this if I am mistaken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home