One of Many

Monday, September 13, 2004

Tragedy in Beslan.

Though the actual incident in Russia occured days prior, I wanted to take a few days to really think it through. I tried to see both sides: the Chechen desperation, and the immoral "filtration camps"...of course, all I know is what I have read. Nonetheless, the conditions are deplorable, with reports of torture and rape circulating widely by ex-detainees. Such brutality is inexcusable, even in a time of war.

But to murder children? To hold them at gunpoint amid those already killed, to deny them even water for days? That is unspeakable. A senseless mass execution likely will do nothing to help the Chechen cause. I daresay they ruined any chance of being heard, as now the anger and grief felt by Russians is inconsolable.

Such terror and hatred in the world. I wish there were another way to exist, but also, I know that we would not understand joy had we not any reason to seek it. What is joy, without despair? What is comfort, without agony? It leads one to ponder why we choose to exist at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home