One of Many

Monday, February 07, 2005

A month later.

I look back and it seems surreal, that a month prior had been the chosen date. I am not certain how the date was chosen, actually; only that it was intended. To trace the descent would take entirely too long, so I shall be brief.

Everyone of Nambiet knew that Christmas would be the last day with family. All was set: instructions, a list of accounts and passcodes, and those to notify. Inside, the small ones were wrapped safely. No one was certain what to expect, but there was a general sense of calm, and of relief...all except Bruyère. She became hysterical and lost control. For that, now, I am grateful. Someone managed to make an attempt; we did manage to cut into a vein but it was not severed. Soon after, at an urgent care, we were involuntarily admitted to the psychiatric hospital.

I was enraged, at first. I do not enjoy being held against my will. The first day, no one spoke, except for Bruyère, who gave truthful histories. Everyone else stayed back, on my word. The next morning, however, Molly broke free and spoke to the good Dr. Bauer. As he fell right in with her and showed no disbelief, others spoke with him, as well: Emme, Siroun, Rhiannon, Niven, Caleb...and so it began. We were placed on a legal hold for nearly two weeks, during which time we spoke to a drug and alcohol counsellor, a psychiatrist, a nutritionist (for Nina), several therapists and a "support team", every morning. Some Inside were very active Outside, as this was safe for them to be at the forefront. And that was helpful, to say the least. I feel our time there was beneficial, as we would most certainly not be here, now, otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home