One of Many

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Honesty is not always the best policy.

For a few weeks we had been experiencing a few side effects due to medications I am taking. These are common side effects of the medication. The most noticible one was vomitting and inability to focus, which sometimes affected my work progress. The therapist suggested we come clean about this, and mention to whomever might be in charge of patient relations that we were being prescribed medication, and to mention the side effects. I knew the safety coordinator for our company, and I thought he might be the best person to approach regarding this. I thought this was the best, most forward approach that would not cause further questioning. Instead, the safety coordinator requsted I bring in a release to work note, which I produced. However, that was considered unsatisfactory due to the fact that I no longer am under that doctor's care. Not only that, but we are under the care of a mental health clinician rather than a psychiatrist at this time.

The safety coordinator then asked to fill out a release of information from my clinician's office. The staff there obliged but begudgingly; they sent a release that entitled the safety coordinator only to information regarding my medication and my ability to work. He insinuated that this was also insufficient, and he would be writing a letter, questioning...God only knows. He will be including the release of information with his letter.

I feel this has spiralled out of control at this point. I do not mind being forward about medications, as I understand that there are rather odd side effects, and it may inhibit production at times. I am specifically worried that he may come across my reasons for taking these medications, and/or the discharge diagnoses. I sent an e-mail which made the training director of the apprenticeship program aware of the situation, but I have yet to know what to do. This could end badly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home