One of Many

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Europe: Entry the third.

This entry was written by Bruyère whilst in Europe.


Ah...

Big news at the end (for most of you but I do have a big mouth) but I'll update for now the rest. Paris was absolutely stunning! We stayed just outside of the city in Rosny-sous-Bois near a mall and a McDonald's...which really does call a quarter-pounder a royal-cheese. :-) My French was so so rusty, I spoke in present tense almost the whole time, but I was understood and everyone was very kind, accomadating, helpful. I see tho, why some Americans come back to the States saying French people were rude...because the Americans were rude!!! OMG, I have never been so embarrassed. People going up to counters saying, "Yo, I need you to change my traveller checks". And then like throwing the checks at them. I'd ignore them too. It was so shameful to watch. A group of Americans destroyed the elevator at our hotel, they were running around yelling, and the other guests just tried to ignore it but the vandalisers were like, "We're Americans, we can do what we want!" Awful. But anyway, we went to Parc Astérix and it was so much fun! Even tho we only went on 2 rides, Tonnère de Zeus and La Trace du Hourra, the tobbagan ride (without tracks!!) which is unlike anything I've ever seen, really. The Zeus ride was scary and I kept hoping I'd die just so the fear would end. I cried, oh it was evil. Even Tannah was scared, he'll admit it too. But we got pics of Astérix and Obélix, and ate French-style hotdogs...oh and in the city we had French-Mex!!! Which was AWFUL but I think that's because we expected auténtica comida mexicana, not a French-style Mexican place. Good food just...not Mexican, y'know? Kinda similar to our Irish hot-dog experience, interesting. Oh and then...I got so stressed because were supposed to go to Kandern, a very small town in Germany near Switzerland, and none of the French travel agents knew where it was, they kept saying it was in Switzerland...so I got stressed because I thought I'd have to try the same transaction in Germany knowing far less German than French, and I spent the next full day in Paris puking all over myself in various public places, so all we got to see aside from the Eiffel tower was the Cathédrale de Notre Dame (incredible!) and the Arc de Triomphe, which was actually pretty sobering.

We took a nite train...12 hours, to Berlin from Paris and went to Wolfsburg to see the VW Museum, which was really cool, and we plan to see Checkpoint Charlie tomorrow. I'm still sad, I would have rather skipped Berlin to see more of Paris but :-( things didn't work out.

More on all that later.

So....the news. The night before I started my stressed out vomitting spree (ask about the doctor in the mall) we went to the Eiffel Tower and have a lovely dinner and saw the tower all lit up. We wanted a pic together in front of the tower, and while Tannah was showing the girl how to work our camara, I stood there, a little annoyed that he took so long. Then he turned around got on 1 knee and proposed. At first I almost laughed because I thought he was joking then I saw the ring and I was so shocked and excited I didn't know which hand the ring went on and he had to show me. It was excellent! Just perfect. And we got pics of it all, and made 3 girls cry.

Ahhhhhh.

So much to tell, really. Just tons. And right now we have over 400 pics so...it'll be awhile before it's loaded up to the online album.

I must go, we're limited to 15 mins internet time and I already took my time and Tannah's and there's a line starting up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home