One of Many

Thursday, December 04, 2003

"Got bit."

I was attempting to change out a power receptacle during a remodel, and my screw-gun touched upon a hot wire, and I was shocked...or, as they say in the field, I got bit. It hurt much less than I thought; it was only 120 volts, so really it was nothing. No pain, any way...more like a violent shuddering. There is barely a bruise, though there was definitely the curious sensation of the hand being forced into a fist involuntarily. See, it is not the electricity that is always dangerous; lower voltages can cause muscle spasms, and make it impossible to let go of the live feed, which is often the reason why in-home electrocutions are so common...if the voltage were higher, at 480 volts, then the arc would knock you back...you would be badly burned, but you would not still have the current coursing through the body. Not necessarily, anyway. At any rate, it was merely something interesting to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home