One of Many

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Home safely, now.

I must say that the most enjoyable moments in Europe were in rather small towns in France and Germany, for two reasons. One is simply because they were absolutely magnificent in their simplicity and beauty. I long to live in such places, away from the concrete-and-neon façade that is Las Vegas. There was a generosity and warmth there that I have never sensed before.

Secondly, it was because in these small towns we met with our dear friend...she requests her name not be revealed but I am hoping I do not break trust in merely discussing this aspect of the trip. Witty, delightful and actually quite bright, she has just graduated from a rather prestigious international school, with honors. We enjoyed her company greatly, and that of her friends and family as well, who were more than gracious. How I wish she would see her own strengths.

Our return to America was less than savory; unruly children and their rude parents ruined most of the flight, and extreme incomptence at O'Hare International in Chicago caused us much trouble. After twenty-eight hours of total travel time from Northern France to Las Vegas, we were well past exhausted. And, returning to work the following day where they had just implemented a fifty-eight hour work week was not the best to come into, but our experiences abroad were worth it, entirely.

The only thing is that I was so foolish to think that somehow, the issues I was avoiding at home would perhaps disappear upon our return. Still, I believe our time away did help alleviate immediate pressures and also, time with friends overseas (or, "across the pond", as Niven likes to say) was incredibly refreshing. To be honest, I think that has renewed my faith in many things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home