One of Many

Wednesday, December 31, 2003

At closing of 2003.

I enjoy the fact that tourism keeps our city booming, to the point that we do not have to pay any state tax. I like tourism in general, because it allows people to make the best of their vacations.

However:

Sometimes I find that tourists think themselves invincible. In leaving work, we usually drive down the Strip, as the freeways take far too long. Today, I nearly hit a man who stopped his vehicle in the center lane, jumped out and began taking pictures of our Arc de Triomphe. He had passengers in his vehicle as well. This, in addition to the hundreds I avoid hitting daily, as they run in front of oncoming traffic for various reasons. Do not live under the assumption that locals will not accelerate when you try to cross the streets against the light, or something equally mindless.

I am positive these people are not so stupid to do this in their own hometown. So why do it in mine?

And yet, this is the last day of the new year. A day to celebrate. I am not certain if we will go to the Strip to see the show; the thought of a dozen gunships and untold numbers of plain-clothes counter-snipers has me uneasy.Of course, our mayor said that Vegas is the safest place to be during the new year, but then again, his motto: "What happens here, stays here."

Again, such negativity! Perhaps my resolution will be to find somethign positive in every situation. If I am nto careful, my own pessimism will eat me alive like a cancer.

Be well, all. Happy New Year, and let us pray that 2004 will bring more joy than sorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home