One of Many

Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Infuriating ignorance.

I sincerely hope this does not come off as rude. I am merely venting.

We went to see the latest "Lord of the Rings" movie, which was excellent. In exiting the cinema, there was a group passing out flyers that basically said the movies and books were demonic, as they dealt with "otherworldly beings, hatred, revenge, and magic". Usually, I do not let these things bother me, because I know others have different beliefs than I. I leave them to it, unless I see it as a threat to myself. (A real threat, something that poses a danger.)

But I read the pamphlet, in interest really. I was curious. It went on to suggest the other things that were "of Satan": Pokemon, Bibles in foreign languages, Disney films...it was a long list. One thing that caught my eye was the television program "Joan of Arcadia". I really do not know much about this show at all, except that God speaks to a teen-aged girl named Joan through unlikely messangers. It said that in the series, God sometimes speaks through a friend of hers, who is "into the Goth-scene". (Still not quite certain what the "Goth-scene" is, I read on, where it explained that it meant anyone who fit the stereotype of "dark clothes, demonic make-up, and self-injury for recreation".)
Firstly, it pisses me off, regally, to hear a stereotype put in such a negative light. It insinuates that dressing in that manner is demonic, which I think is silly, and that self-harm is demonic as well, which more or less negates me in relation to my faith.

Secondly, it went on to make the point that God would not choose to use such a person as a vessel, because people who look and act "like that" are certainly not Christian, and may be in Satan's service.

I was shocked. How dare anyone pass judgement on what a Christian should look or act like? It made me think of well-dressed men we once knew, pillars of the fucking community they were, always clean and tithed generously, and yet in the shadows they committed hideous acts unseen to the holy Church-going world. And yet, if someone dares to wear somethign not deemed proper according to the status quo, or Lord forbid is burdened by an addiction, then they cannot possibly be considered Christian...what shame for the Church if they were!

Please do not misunderstand my sarcasm. I consider myself Christian, and I am not trying to put it in an unfavorable light. My point is that according to what I believe, only God knows one's heart, and only God can pass judgement. Granted, I think it would be wrong if I were to slice at my wrists all day and give in to every narcotic craving I felt, just to say, "Oh well, I have the Gift of Salvation, so I guess it doesn't matter. Sorry God, and all that."

But I believe with every fiber of my being that if I do cut myself, or what not, I can be truly sorry and I wil be forgiven. And that is between God and myself, not some fucking asshole on the street, deciding he's holier than everybody else, cramming everyone into "Good-Christian-or-Satanist" categories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home