One of Many

Monday, December 08, 2003

A wiccaning.

Last evening we attended Nykki's wiccaning. The closest I could describe it would be a type of baptism, or blessing, for a Wiccan child. His parents were there, as well as friends and a few other children also to be blessed. I was apprehensive, at first, as our experiences with Pagan-type rituals were less than savory for quite awhile. However, the Host insisted we attend, and so we did.

If I may be so bold, it was a lovely ceremony, and quite benign in retrospect. I have heard some tell us that in being Christian, we are not allowed to appreciate or experience other religions; I think that would be almost the antithesis of Christianity. If one goes to a gathering held in the name of another, and is converted or begins having doubts, I would question that person's strength in faith. My faith--and the Host's--is rather stout, and I do not feel threatened. If anything, we are gaining knowledge. How can a Christian truly know what he has if he does not know what others have? If anything, I feel we are stronger Christians in having this knowledge; we are not the fearful, mindless followers that contend that depression is a sin and epilepsy is demonic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home