One of Many

Friday, June 11, 2004

On religion, and tolerance.

One of the newer journeymen on our crew is a devout Christian. I take no issue with that, as I consider myself a Christian, as well. That being said:

We are allowed to advertise most anything on our apparel or hardhat, including religion, sexual orientation, or narcotics, for instance. (Though, if there is a complaint then it must be removed by the end of the work day.) This new journeyman does just that. He wears Christian-themed shirts and has etched "Jesus saves" into his hardhat, along with its Spanish equivalent.

I take no issue with that, either. If a man can wear a shirt that says "Making love: What your girlfriend does while you fuck her", then certainly this journeyman's profession of faith cannot be any worse. The way he goes about the rest of it, however, is what I find irritating.

Twice this week alone he has put his hand on the shoulder and asked if we knew the love only Jesus can give. He also makes a habit of slipping Biblical pamphlets into lunchboxes when no one is nearby, and drops "Trust Jesus" cards throughout the hallways at our jobsite.

I have no problems with faith, at all. One of our journeymen is Muslim and we go into incredible discussions on the topic. I like discussing religion if the topic is not so forcibly thrust upon us.

I am unsure as to what to do about this. I have tried to stand by and ignore it, and I have even tried to rationalize the behavior. However, it is becoming an issue, because now it has come to the point that every time we see him, I want to allow one of our non-Christian ones out. Not to debate, really, but just to annoy him as he annoys me. I know that is completely the wrong mindset. And yet, I scarcely think this is an issue that should include the foreman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home