One of Many

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Update: Head trauma.

Really, one should know for obvious reasons that there is no such thing as "light-duty" at a construction site. So, we are still off of work until Friday, when we have another doctor's appointment. I am hoping the restrictions will be lifted at that time.

On a slightly similar note, I was told that we are eligible for disability payment, since more than five consecutive days were missed. I really know nothing of that matter, and I resisted asking questions. I know that we will be paid 66-2/3% of our average monthly wage. I am hoping (without much expectation) that our average wages include all the overtime worked these past few weeks. Also, I wonder if we are paid only up until today, when I returned to work, and was refused. Would we be required to miss an additional five consecutive days to be further eligible? I was told the check would be mailed today, and I suppose I will have to wait.

I must say that the rest of the morning, prior to speaking with our worker's compensation case manager, was horrendous. We sat for nearly two hours in a small room, being interrogated by three men about the details of the work accident. I requested that our jobsite steward and safety coordinator be present, and that was granted. However, it was still rather stressful to Bruyère, who was positive that they were questioning the validity of our statement. It turns out that they only investigated so thoroughly because of the nature of the accident, and the fact that our initial verbal statement raised more questions than it answered. (This was mostly due to the fact that it was conducted less than twenty-four hours after the injury occurred. Bruyère could scarcely recall her name and address, let alone the English skills required to adequately explain the details of a jobsite injury over the telephone.)

In between the interrogation by the investigators for the general contractor and the interview with the claims case manager, there was approximately half an hour we were left alone in the orientation trailer.

I recognized the urge immediately. It had been a few weeks, at least, since I last relinquished myself to it. I hesitate to describe it...there is a certain amount of intimacy involved in times when one is under duress. I do know, however, that I shall rethink storing extra utility blades in our knapsack, and perhaps I could leave them with the foreman. I know better than to do something so foolish. I had very little time to clean the area afterward, and dispose of the evidence. At very least, there is a therapy session today. I do not much care for therapy, but at very least it may calm some of the others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home