One of Many

Sunday, March 28, 2004

Niven's epiphany.

The lily is my favorite flower. It exudes strength and majesty; the petals are soft, and yet not so fragile that one would shy away from touching them gently. Clean and fresh, like the dew that covers a meadow in the small hours of the morning.

I think of lilies because they remind me off-hand much of Niven. His spirit is "light and free", as someone told me, and yet in a very short time he lost most everything he cares for. Niven is one who
can take most anything in stride: he can ooze sarcasm one moment and engage in a heart-to-heart conversation the next. He is still rather young, considering, and his maturity can be lacking at times. However, in the gravest situations, he is a man, ready to tackle whatever may come his way. I worry for him. Aside from recent events, he has never known adversity. He confided in me once, perhaps a week ago:

"Ever since I got to know you my life has basicaly gone to shit. It's just one damn crisis after another with no let up. But before, when there was nothing...I never really lived, either. It's like you can't really understand life till you know how much it can hurt you."

I believe it was a compliment, of sorts. Perhaps a coming-of-age revelation. I can only do so much to help him, and I am doing as best as I am able. I suppose we shall see if it amounts to anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home