One of Many

Saturday, June 14, 2003

An unsavory necessity.

As many are likely aware, I rarely use slang...and at times I do not use contractions. This had never bothered me; in fact, I feel silly or childish in using either. The Host and many of the others do, and that does not bother me...my refusal to pepper my everyday speech with it is my choice alone.

However, I am finding it increasingly difficult to continue doing so. Often, my written posts are misunderstood as being rude or "preachy". Furthermore, at the jobsite, there is a necessity for slang...certain tools and material are only known by their slang-terms.

For instance, diagonal cutters are "dykes". Flex connectors are "jakes". Easy anchors are--shamefully--"pig-dicks". I know I must adapt...I know that I am the minority and it is up to me to transform. I have no issue with that. My issue lies in feeling uncomfortable speaking in that manner.

I pride myself in being well-spoken. Words calm me, and wielding them well gives me something to feel good about. I know that slang is not lesser speech, but when I attempt it, I feel as if I am losing control. As if I have lowered myself from responsibility.

The Host suggested that I begin with using contractions. I am able to use a few: saying "we've" is not so upsetting as saying "can't".
I do not mean to appear anal-retentive; it is not a "true" problem, really. I understand that. I suppose I wish I knew how to start, and not despise myself for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home